For Patients and Families
Child Life Services works with patients and families to promote a positive medical experience. Our child life specialists are trained in child development and the unique needs of children, teens and families in the hospital. Through play, child life specialists create a friendly environment to help your child feel more comfortable.
When to Request a Child Life Specialist
- My child is nervous or has questions about an upcoming procedure or test.
- My child needs help coping during a procedure or test.
- My child's brother or sister has concerns about the hospital.
- My child has had a traumatic experience.
- My child is having difficulty coping with hospital or doctor visits.
- My child has a long term condition or was just diagnosed with one.
- My child is coming to the hospital and would benefit from a pre-admission visit.
- My child needs age appropriate toys/activities.
- I have questions about my child's developmental needs.
- I need suggestions for talking to my child about his or her hospital experience.
© 2016 Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt