For Patients and Families
Child Life Services works with patients and families to promote a positive medical experience. Our child life specialists are trained in child development and the unique needs of children, teens and famlies in the hospital.
Child life specialists work closely with members of the health care team to help you and your child understand medical conditions and procedures. Through play, child life specialists create a friendly environment to help your child feel more comfortable.
When to Request a Child Life Specialist
- My child is nervous or has questions about an upcoming procedure or test.
- My child needs help coping during a procedure or test.
- My child's brother or sister has concerns about the hospital.
- My child has had a traumatic experience.
- My child is having difficulty coping with hospital or doctor visits.
- My child has a long term condition or was just diagnosed with one.
- My child is coming to the hospital and would benefit from a pre-admission visit.
- My child needs age appropriate toys/activities.
- I have questions about my child's developmental needs.
- I need suggestions for talking to my child about his or her hospital experience.
© 2013 Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt