Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt
Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt
Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt
Children's Hospital Logo
Connect With Us:

Monroe Carell Jr.
Children's Hospital
at Vanderbilt
2200 Children's Way
Nashville, TN 37232

(615) 936-1000

Children's Hospital Logo
Home / News and Events / Health Tips / Celebrate the season with safety
Printer friendly version of this page  E-mail someone a link to this pageBookmark and Share  Open RSS Feed
Celebrate the season with safety

Reviewed By: Sarah Haverstick, Safe Children program manager (Last Updated: December 7, 2011)

Lights and decorations are welcome distractions from the cold weather outside, but also bring an increased potential for injury, especially to young children.

Holiday home safety mishaps account for more than 12,000 emergency room visits each year in the United States during November and December, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

The dangers that lurk behind that holiday cheer are often associated with electrical safety, tree decorating mistakes, unintentional poisoning, and cooking injuries.

"The holiday season primarily brings an increased risk for fire and burn injuries, because many households use candles or electrical lights to decorate. There is also an increased risk for home fires caused by cooking," said Sarah Haverstick, Safe Children program manager at Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt. "It is important to follow the safety tips provided when decorating, especially with candles and electrical lights, and make sure all young children are under active adult supervision."

Keep these safety tips in mind as you celebrate the holidays.

Electrical safety

  • Inspect holiday lights each year. Check for frayed wires, bar spots, broken sockets, or excessive wear.
  • Look for the "ETL" or "UL" label on lights to ensure they have been tested for safety.
  • Unplug all holiday lights when you go to sleep or leave your house.
  • Don't overload extension cords or outlets with too many plugs.

Safe decorating

  • Make sure an adult is present when candles are lit. Blow out the candles before leaving a room.
  • Keep candles at least three feet away from anything that might burn.
  • Store candles, matches, and lighters out of sight and reach of children.
  • Artificial trees should have a "fire resistant" label.
  • Live trees should be watered frequently.
  • All trees should be at least three feet away from any heat source, including candles.
  • Avoid putting ornaments with small parts or metal hooks, or look like food or candy, on lower branches easily accessible to young children.

Poison prevention

  • Keep alcohol, including baking extracts, out of reach of children.
  • Food colorings are toxic and should be stored out of reach. 
  • Artificial snow can be harmful if inhaled, so use it in a well-vented space. 
  • Mistletoe berries, holly berry, and Jerusalem cherry can be poisonous. If they are used in decorating, make sure children and pets cannot reach them.

For more information about holiday safety and other home safety tips contact the Kohl's Safety Outreach Program at Children's Hospital by calling (615) 936-SAFE (7233) or viewing our Safety Topic of the Week.

In a poison emergency, call the American Association of Poison Control Centers at (800) 222-1222.

<< Back to health tips main page

Additional sites rich with information and resources on a variety of health conditions and tips include:

Health & Wellness Library

Growing up Healthy

Valued Participant of Vanderbilt Health Affiliated Network