Play Nicely: The Healthy Discipline Program is a brief, population-based intervention designed to prevent violence and mitigate toxic stress.
To view the free Play Nicely multimedia program, choose:
"Assume you see your child hit another. What are you going to do?"
Why is this one of the most important questions that a parent can be asked?
- It addresses childhood aggression, one of the strongest risk factors for violence later in life.
- It addresses toxic stress, a risk factor for many health problems, by creating an opportunity to educate parents about healthy forms of discipline.
- It can lead to education for parents from different cultural and ethnic backgrounds, laying the foundation for a population-based approach to prevent violence and mitigate toxic stress
The Play Nicely multimedia program and handbook present viewers with 20 options for responding to a child without aggression. Parents can view the options that interest them most.
Play Nicely works!
Multiple studies confirm that Play Nicely is effective.
After viewing the program, health care providers
- have increased confidence for counseling parents about discipline.
- are more likely to recommend appropriate discipline strategies to parents.
Play Nicely: The Healthy Discipline Handbook
This durable book is uniquely designed to enhance learning with tabbed pages for each of the 20 discipline options. Learn more about how to obtain this valuable printed resource.
© 2016 Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt