Whether your child is facing one of childhood's routine mishaps or something far more serious, our goal is to provide the region's best emergency care as quickly as possible.
Unlike many adult hospitals, our doctors, nurses, and staff have specialized training in caring for babies, children, and teens. We care for the region's most complex medical conditions, and we're open 24 hours a day. Our department cared for more than 52,000 children last year. With 35 patient-care areas and 2 trauma bays, we have the capacity to quickly see more children.
Emergency room location
The emergency room entrance is near the hospital's main entry facing Children's Way. Free valet parking is available.
When to bring your child to the emergency room
Your first call should be to your pediatrician or family doctor who knows your child's medical history. What kinds of symptoms require emergency treatment?
Call 911 if your child's life may be in danger or they are seriously ill.
Contact the Poison Center Hotline at 800-222-1222. The Tennessee Poison Center is located at Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Why choose us
- Our Pediatric Level I Trauma Center is the only one within 150 miles. A Level 1 facility offers the highest level of service to pediatric trauma patients.
- Our doctors are board-certified with advanced training in emergency medicine for children.
- One of the most experienced Neonatal Transport teams in the nation.
- There is around-the-clock access to the staff and facilities at Children's Hospital, including operating rooms, on-site MRI and CT scanners, and emergency respiratory therapy.
- On-site child life specialists help children cope with their visit.
- We have family friendly facilities and child-sized equipment.
- We provide the highest level of individualized sedation care for children with broken bones, cuts, abscesses and other emergencies. Pediatric sedation uses medicines to help children stay comfortable during potentially stressful or painful procedures.
© 2013 Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt