For more than 90 years, Junior League volunteers and fundraising efforts have improved childhood health. Vanderbilt and the Junior League combined their efforts in 1970 with an agreement to move the Junior League Home for Crippled Children to Vanderbilt. We have been working together ever since to make a difference in the lives of children and families in our community.
A history of service
The Junior League of Nashville's first major project was opening the Junior League Home for Crippled Children in 1923. The home provided free convalescent and rehabilitative medical care for children with crippling diseases. The move to Vanderbilt allowed the Junior League to serve more patients and enabled third-party payments from insurance and government programs. The home was moved again in 1980 into the freestanding Children's Hospital, now called Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt.
Today, Junior League volunteers give countless hours of service within programs at Children's Hospital.
Raising funds for care
Since 1970, the Junior League of Nashville has supported many programs with volunteers and financial resources targeting current health needs of children. A partial list of these programs include:
- Junior League Family Resource Center
- Junior League Child Life Specialist Program
- Capital gifts to renovate a pediatric outpatient clinic and to help build the freestanding hospital
- Neonatal Intensive Care Development Follow-up Clinic
- Junior League Fetal Care Program
- Junior League Therapeutic Arts Program
- Junior League of Nashville Sickle Cell Disease and Asthma Program
Junior League volunteers also host a wide variety of activities to support the family such as entertainment hours, movie nights and holiday gifts.
Junior League of Nashville
Phone: (615) 296-9393
Junior League President: Jennifer Hill
Junior League President-Elect: Kerry Dunn
Vanderbilt®, Vanderbilt University Medical Center®, V Oak Leaf Design®,
Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt®, and Vanderbilt Health®
are all trademarks of The Vanderbilt University.