Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt
Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt
Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt
Children's Hospital Logo
Connect With Us:

Monroe Carell Jr.
Children's Hospital
at Vanderbilt
2200 Children's Way
Nashville, TN 37232


(615) 936-1000

Children's Hospital Logo
Printer friendly version of this page  E-mail someone a link to this pageBookmark and Share

Heating, Electric, and Emergency Equipment Safety

 

Heating and electric equipment can pose serious safety threats to children. And while emergency equipment may save lives, it is vital that adults know how to properly use and care for it.

Follow these guidelines to help prevent injuries.

Heating equipment

  • Cover radiators and baseboard heaters with childproof screens.
  • Secure gas fireplaces with a valve cover or key.
  • Fit working fireplaces with screens.
  • Clean chimneys at least once a year.
  • Keep electric space heaters, humidifiers, and vaporizers at least 3 feet from beds, curtains, or flammable items.

Electrical equipment

  • Cover unused electrical outlets with safety plugs.
  • Use grounded (three-pronged) cords with all major electrical appliances.
  • Ensure that electrical cords are properly insulated, and that insulation shows no signs of wear or fraying.
  • Use cord holders to keep longer cords fastened against the wall.
  • Remove excess plugs from overloaded sockets.
  • Do not run electrical wires under carpeting.
  • Position TVs, computers, and stereo equipment against walls.

Emergency equipment

  • If you have a home phone, list emergency room phone numbers near the charging base.
  • Keep a fire extinguisher on every floor of the house and in the kitchen.
  • Make an emergency ladder available on upper floors of your home.
  • Smoke detectors should be installed on each floor of your home with, batteries changed at least once a year and any detector replaced after 10 years.
  • If you have a natural gas oven or range, if your water heater is indoors, or if you have an attached garage, install a carbon monoxide detector. Use an electrical outlet that is as close to the floor as possible. Carbon monoxide is a heavy gas and will settle.

Need to childproof your home? Visit Champ's Corner Store at Children's Hospital

More information


Last Edited: October 28, 2016
Valued Participant of Vanderbilt Health Affiliated Network