Tennessee Coalition for ATV Safety
Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt supports the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American College of Surgeons recommendations that children 16 years of age and under should not ride or drive an ATV.
All-terrain vehicle (ATV)-related crashes involving children are on the rise. It was estimated that in 2010, there were 115,000 ATV-related emergency department-treated injuries in the U.S. and roughly 25 percent of those were seen in children younger than 16 years of age.
Tennessee ranks no. 7 with 101 ATV reported fatalities from 2007-2010, showing that it is crucial to spread awareness of this issue throughout our state.
To encourage the well-being of Tennessee’s youth, Children's Hospital has teamed with the Tennessee 4-H Youth Development Program and numerous other organizations across the state (listed below) to promote ATV safety among youth and adults.
Mission of the Coalition:
Promote ATV Safety in the state of Tennessee
Launch a statewide public educational campaign on ATV Safety
- Increase awareness among youth, parents, and communities in Tennessee on ATV safety.
- Build a partnership with consistent messaging, committed to addressing the major issues surrounding all-terrain vehicle safety.
- Identify grant opportunities for furthering ATV initiatives.
- Create and disseminate a toolkit on ATV safety to be used by coalition partners across the state.
- Develop a database that captures pediatric ATV injuries across the state as well as educational outreach by coalition.
- Conduct research to understand and guide future ATV safety initiatives across the state.
Steering Committee Organizations
Advisory Board Organizations
You may join the coalition by contacting the Trauma Service’s Injury Prevention Program Coordinator, Purnima Unni, at email@example.com.
Vanderbilt®, Vanderbilt University Medical Center®, V Oak Leaf Design®,
Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt®, and Vanderbilt Health®
are all trademarks of The Vanderbilt University.
© 2017 Vanderbilt University Medical Center. All rights reserved.